Have a vehicle build or question, post here!
By axleater
Keep in mind this is just my opinion but

i have never been a fan of jacked up 4x4 cars or trying to put a whatever kind of it didn't come on that frame body on a 4wd frame.  It always looks farmer fabbed and everything ends up looking like an afterthought or mistake rather than a clean integrated unit.  This is a personal problem for me as there are plenty of people out there that do it.

use the car body for a street rod some day.  be realistic about a "family" 4 wheeler.  you won't be taking 3 small children and your girl out for a fun afternoon of captain crunch.   It just won't work.  Keeping small children entertained on a hard trail will make the fun meter peg out quickly.

However, taking the family of 5 out for a fun iceman or calamity or even got milk kind of run is doable. 

You Ford guys are a strange breed and I realize that somehow a bad Ford is still a better choice than anything else so your choices are limited but look into a 4 door exploder.  Kieths is not a good choice for super hard trails even with rear steer but it is an awesome 4 rated trail machine with safe and comfy seating for 5 and air conditioning to keep mom and kids happy on those 100* days in the bottom of a canyon with no wind.

or

If creature comforts are of no concern, fire up that tubing bender and make a 5 seat buggy.  Starting from scratch will end up being easier and faster than trying to live within the constraints of an existing frame and body. 
By BrangerII
I think it would be cool in a probably-not-been-done-before way... but I think there are way better options for a family wheeler.

Have you considered building a buggy and building some "skins" that would look similar to your choice of old car/truck?
By allgonoshow
Keep in mind this is just my opinion but

i have never been a fan of jacked up 4x4 cars or trying to put a whatever kind of it didn't come on that frame body on a 4wd frame.  It always looks farmer fabbed and everything ends up looking like an afterthought or mistake rather than a clean integrated unit.  This is a personal problem for me as there are plenty of people out there that do it.

use the car body for a street rod some day.  be realistic about a "family" 4 wheeler.  you won't be taking 3 small children and your girl out for a fun afternoon of captain crunch.   It just won't work.  Keeping small children entertained on a hard trail will make the fun meter peg out quickly.

However, taking the family of 5 out for a fun iceman or calamity or even got milk kind of run is doable. 

You Ford guys are a strange breed and I realize that somehow a bad Ford is still a better choice than anything else so your choices are limited but look into a 4 door exploder.  Kieths is not a good choice for super hard trails even with rear steer but it is an awesome 4 rated trail machine with safe and comfy seating for 5 and air conditioning to keep mom and kids happy on those 100* days in the bottom of a canyon with no wind.

or

If creature comforts are of no concern, fire up that tubing bender and make a 5 seat buggy.  Starting from scratch will end up being easier and faster than trying to live within the constraints of an existing frame and body. 

I have decided to not use the car body. Just like you stated, I will save it for a rat rod/street rod someday. I still think I will use the old international pickup cab for this project. I also do not like the way cars look on 4x4 frames, but I thought I might be able to pull it off. I agree with you that it would be a pain to take all of the kids on a trail too. Thanks for the input [smiley=beer.gif].
By axleater
You already have the big grey ford for solo wheelin trips, why not make your next project the family truckster?
By allgonoshow
I think it would be cool in a probably-not-been-done-before way... but I think there are way better options for a family wheeler.

Have you considered building a buggy and building some "skins" that would look similar to your choice of old car/truck?

I talked to my wife some more last night. She said to build whatever I thought would be best, the kids will just have to learn to take turns :). Having everyone on the trail at one time would probably drive me nuts, I can bareley keep track of my wife and two kids at Sams Club ;D.I have considered building a family buggy. I think I will wait until the boys are older, and can "help" me and I can teach them things along the way. I have always wanted an old school pickup cab wheeler, it is something different. I also have always liked rat rods. So I "think" I have made the decision to use the international cab and build a truggy/rat rod. Thanks for the input guys. [smiley=beer.gif]
By axleater
diggin the IH option, but you might have guessed that already  [smiley=beer.gif]
By allgonoshow
diggin the IH option, but you might have guessed that already  [smiley=beer.gif]

Yeah I like the looks of the IH cab better than the Ford. I knew you would like the IH cab :). Do either of those trucks have chopped tops?
By allgonoshow
You already have the big grey ford for solo wheelin trips, why not make your next project the family truckster?

I want to build a rig for my boys. I guess I want to build them something cool to go wheeling with. Ultimately, someday, I would like to have a gooseneck, load up both rigs, and let them do the driveing while I ride shotgun :)
By allgonoshow
Here are a few pics of the International cab.

[/img]

[/img]

And here is where the Ford truck is damaged.

[/img]
Dana 60 locker

Looking for a selectable locker for a Dana 60 if a[…]

Looking for a full float dana 60 rear in the 65&qu[…]

Race tires

Looking for some 265 -295 ish tires for 16" […]

Seats

Looking at seats for the race scout. Leaning towar[…]